Sylhet Women's Medical College
Address : House No-12, Road No-113/A, Gulshan Model Town, Gulshan-2, Dhak-1212
Sylhet Women’s Medical College (SWMC) was founded in 2005 and is a private medical school in Bangladesh that only accepts female students. On 130,000 square feet of ground in the center of Sylhet, the Sylhet Women’s Medical College and Hospital is a teaching and medical institution with three high-rise structures.
It is situated in the heart of Sylhet, at Mirboxtola. Before 2019, it was a part of the School of Medical Sciences at Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST). Still, as of 2019, it is now a part of Sylhet Medical University (SMU).
According to the 2020 Census, it is the top private medical college in the Sylhet division and the second-best medical school in the nation for women. International students from India, Nepal, the Middle East, Canada, the UK, and others make up its student body.
The college is situated between the busy crossroads of Chowhatta Point and Noya Sarak Point in Mirboxtola, in the heart of Sylhet. On the 3 acres (1.2 hectares) site, there are two main structures: a high-rise that houses the college and another that houses a 625-bed teaching hospital connected to it.
The college provides a five-year program of study leading to a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree from SUST, which has been authorized by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC). A one-year internship is required after completing the final professional test. To be registered to practice medicine with the BMDC, you must complete training.
The college solely accepts female applicants. The Directorate General of Health Services oversees admissions for Bangladeshis to the MBBS programs at all government and private medical institutions in Bangladesh (DGHS). It concurrently offers a written test with multiple choice questions everywhere around the nation. Although grades from the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSC) levels also matter, this test’s score is the main factor determining whether candidates are accepted. The institution is permitted to enroll 100 students yearly as of January 2020, with 50% of the seats going to international students. Students not from Bangladesh are primarily from India, Nepal, and other South Asian nations.
- The campus is secure and gives practical knowledge and research for exposure, as well as sports groups, social services, and numerous humanitarians for various student successes, so the students are protected.
- There is no need to go outside because the institution has a cafeteria where food is prepared in sanitary settings, and Indian food is also accessible. This means that the college gives the finest nutritious, healthy, subsidized food in hygienic conditions.
- Inside the university is a multi-specialty hospital, which helps students with their clinical practice.
- This can assist since the institution offers students a variety of medical practice opportunities in their best, most well-organized academic labs, all while providing the highest quality, most efficient care and treatment at a cheap cost.
- The primary goal of the college hospital is to provide high levels of patient satisfaction.